Not just paired, but connected
Once the program has been introduced with the three phonics Teaching Modules and Shared reading stage, there are nine developmental reading stages (370 titles) comprising of connected books written with a different text type.
- Paired books address the same concepts, vocabulary and high-frequency words in different text types and sentence structures.
- High frequency words are gradually and systematically introduced and reused at the early levels.
- There is a high rate of repetition of high-frequency words and a low ratio of unfamiliar words at the early levels.
- There is a balance of illustrated narrative and photographic informative books.
- There is a wide range of text types – narratives, recounts, procedures, explanations, reports and persuasive texts.
- Modules 2-6 of the phonics texts are also paired texts.