Connected texts to reinforce learning
- 244 Student Books (122 pairs of books) organised into 7 Developmental Reading Stages.
- Paired books address the same concepts, vocabulary and high-frequency words in different text types and sentence structures.
- High-frequency words are gradually and systematically introduced and reused.
- There is a high rate of repetition of high-frequency words and a low ratio of unfamiliar words.
- There is a balance of illustrated narrative and photographic informative books.
- There is a wide range of text types – narratives, recounts, procedures, explanations and reports.
Provide direct reading support
- Unique to the Early Emergent Stage, there is one Vocabulary Starter for each pair of books (18 in total).
- Each Vocabulary Starter introduces the written form of key vocabulary through unambiguous, labelled photographs.
- Vocabulary Starters can be read as a book, or displayed as a word bank to support beginning readers and writers.
- On the back of the photographs are suggestions for building oral, reading and writing vocabulary, as well as reading and writing activities for each book.
Full colour, sturdy laminated cards with seven folding panels
Activities for developing oral, reading, and writing vocabulary on reverse side of cards
Easy-to-use Lesson Plans for practical and systematic instruction
- 132 Lesson Plans – one for each pair of books.
- There are Before, During and After Reading Activities for each book, plus a synthesising activity focusing on the key concept of both books.
- Each Lesson Plan can be split into four 30-minute instructional sessions and one review session.
- Each Lesson Plan integrates oral language, comprehension, phonemic awareness, phonics, vocabulary development, fluency and writing.
- Each Lesson Plan includes ongoing assessment and follow-up activities.
Full colour, sturdy laminated cards with six folding panels (3 panels per side)